Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Doctors, Doctors and more Doctors.......




Among the many methods for closing wounds of the skin, stitching, or suturing, is the most common form of repairing a wound.

Removing stitches or other skin-closure devices is a procedure that many people dread. Understanding the various skin-closure procedures and knowing how they are put in and what to expect when they are removed can help overcome much of this anxiety.

Stitches (also called sutures) are used to close cuts and wounds in skin. They can be used in nearly every part of the body, internally and externally. Doctors literally "sew" the skin together with individual sutures and tie a secure knot. Stitches then allow the skin to heal naturally when it otherwise may not come together.

Stitches are used to close a variety of wound types. Accidental cuts or lacerations are often closed with stitches. Also, surgeons use stitches during operations to tie ends of bleeding blood vessels and to close surgical incisions. I've had both types in recent months internal and external sutures.

Sutures are divided into 2 general categories, namely, absorbable and nonabsorbable.

Absorbable sutures rapidly break down in the tissues and lose their strength within 60 days. This type of suture does not have to be removed. These are used internally or in special areas such as inside of the mouth.

Nonabsorbable sutures, on the other hand, maintain their strength for longer than 60 days. These sutures are used to close skin or external wounds and require removal once the wound has healed.

The general technique of placing stitches is simple. The "thread" or suture that is used is attached to a needle. The wound is cleaned with water and peroxide. Betadine, an antiseptic solution, is used to cleanse the area around the wound. Next, the area is numbed with an anesthetic agent such as lidocaine (Xylocaine). Then the needle with the thread attached is used to "sew" the edges of the wound together, in an effort to recreate the original appearance. Several stitches may be needed to accomplish this. Once the wound is closed, a bandage is initially applied to the wound.

I actually only had 4 stithces on the outside of my chin but my doctor said I have "plenty" on my lip and inside my mouth that will disolve on their own. I seem to get them stuck in my front bottom teeth from time to time. Wierd feeling.

I also went to my plastic surgeon today for another fill. She informed me that if I decide to have the radiation treatment I would need to be fully expanded before radiation and that it is possible they would need to deflate one side so they can direct the radiation easily. Interesting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment