Friday, September 23, 2011

Red White And Blue Blood Cells

After each chemotherapy treatment, it’s important to understand the level of red and white blood cells in our bodies. With modern technology, a blood sample can be instantly analyzed and delivered to the oncologists in a matter of minutes. Such was the case last wednesdday weeks ago when I had my chemo treatment. I’m thankful to report that my red and white blood cells were all in the normal range.

Of course I was aware that my oncologist was going to monitor my blood cell count after each treatment. It’s why she scheduled an appointment each time I have chemo. I was also aware that the blood cell count could fluctuate, but I was not aware that the count could be obliterated in the blink of an eye. But, according to the internet, after the fact, that is always a possibility.

Why aren’t we told this? Do our oncologists think we only need to know what they think is reasonable? Why is it their choice? If I had been told this, I know I still would have chosen to receive the chemo treatments. But it doesn’t change the fact that we have a right to know.

Questions to ask our oncologists are: I know that you will be monitoring my red and white blood cell counts, but what are the chances that I could wake up one morning and have no white blood cells? If this happens, what do we do? Will I get every infection known to mankind? Will my kidneys fail? Could the count be so low that I might not even wake up? If the count can be corrected, how long will it take? Will I ever return to normal?

These are not the only questions. What are others? Please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment