Sunday, September 18, 2011

Thoughts of Kindness



I often marvel at the realization that it has really only been just under 3 months since the start of this crazy cancer adventure. That is not very long to digest and wrap my brain around all that I have experienced and learned. How life can come to a halt so quickly. And yet I have gone through such an ordeal beyond what I could have ever imagined.

There is something I have noticed. I feel me coming back to life slowly as I recover from my initial surgery. I've been out and about more. The love and concern from my dear neighbors, friends and family is always there and I can understand their support. What has surprised me is the concern from total strangers. People that notice the scarf and understand will stop and talk to me with genuine concern in their eyes. Heartfelt questions are asked on how I am holding up. People hug me and pat my shoulder. People feel an instant connection to me and want to be extra helpful in whatever I need.

One experience is especially memorable for me that happened this week. I was involved in a auto wreck on Thursday, the day after my chemotherapy. Dazed and confused after the collison a wonderful women appeared at my door and helped me out. I couldn't speak, I thought my jaw was broken for sure. This wonderful person helped me by using my phone to call Randy at work and get instructions as to what to do. She stayed with me the entire time at my side comforting me. I was frightened at the thought of what had just happened. She took everything in stride and helped me. She came to the hospital later where she left behind her kindness and these flowers to brighten my day.

It is nice to know there are people like that out there. Complete strangers that are not only able but willing to help out. She may not know but she made my day, helping me feel a bit more confident. Cancer really does bring out great kindness and compassion in others. Compliment someone today for ANY reason at all. It is a great feeling and you never know the good you can do!


Swelling is going down a bit in the jowls. Hopefully some of the stitches will be coming out his week.

No comments:

Post a Comment