Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Little Mermaid and Kombu



Sea vegetables may play a role in lowering risk of estrogen-related cancers, including breast cancer. Since cholesterol is required as a building block for production of estrogen, the cholesterol-lowering effects of sea vegetables may play a risk-reducing role in this regard. For women who are at risk of estrogen-sensitive breast cancers, sea vegetables may bring a special benefit in this regard.

Kombu seaweed is an important part of Japanese cuisine. Kombu is also eaten in other parts of Asia as well; it can be found fresh, dried, pickled (yes, pickled), and frozen in many Asian markets. There are a wide range of uses and it is one of the more popular foods in Japan since it is so versatile and affordable, thanks to seaweed farming which makes it easy to cultivate and harvest. It grows naturally in the deep waters of the ocean and is a variety of very thick, wide and dark green kelp. While it is commonly used in cooking, specifically to make soup stocks, candy and condiments, Kombu is also useful in natural cures and home remedies.

Because Kombu, like all other seaweed, is harvested from the ocean, it is extraordinarily rich in mineral elements that provide immense nutritional benefits. Believed to be beneficial to beauty and diet, Kombu is also very low in calories.
Known to reduce rates of breast cancer in women, the Lignans in Kombu are specifically believed to be responsible for the lower incidence of the disease in Japanese women who consume diets rich in sea vegetables, including Kombu.

In people with under-active thyroids or who are deficient in proper levels of iodine, Kombu is also known to help increase physical energy. In fact, it is widely used in natural cures and home remedies to treat both of these disorders.

As a naturally rich source of dietary fiber, Kombu is also commonly used to treat bowel issues, including constipation, and other digestive ailments which Chemotherapy patients are always concerned with including Denise.

Kombu also helps to soften beans and legumes, making them easier to digest and will help to prevent gas too which will be a godsend to all of you who know my family.

1 comment:

  1. Last week I put together a vegan soup (made in my crockpot) with my
    Kombu and Baby Bella mushrooms.

    I ended up using up the ingredients which I tend to have on hand. I
    put lots of white onion, jalps, tons of garlic and some oil on the
    bottom of the crock for a bit (it doesn't really fry but they sweat a
    little bit). To that I added (bout a handful each of) some sliced up
    carrots and yellow and green zuchinni and a whole package of baby
    bellas that I sliced up.

    I added plenty of water along with two sheets of Kombu (I left the
    kombu in to eat but should have cut it up before adding since these
    were sheets). Then I added cilantro, jarred ginger, Thai Basil leaves
    (thanks to Susie for that discovery that I've used over and over),
    hoisen sauce, soy sauce, better than bouillon and salt. Let the
    crockpot do its thang for several hours.

    This was really really good. Once again it ended up being vegan
    without me realizing it until I was done making it. For each serving
    I added some chile soy sauce (I needs me heat). I will definitely be
    making this again. It's easy - just chopping, adding and stirring.

    ReplyDelete