Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mammograms Under 50 Years Old?


There is a lot of conflicting information out there about mammograms. Do you get one every year after the age of 40 or every two years? Do I wait until I am 50 if I don't have any family history or increased risks? Do I have to get them until I die or until I am 74 as recent studies show? Why 74 and not 75 or 89?

I guess I should be thankful I caught my lump with a self exam, since I did not have any family history and no increased risks (smoking, drinking etc). Some women with my history would not get them at all until at least age 50.

In the February 2011 issue of American Journal of Radiology, researchers found that starting screening at a younger age than 50 and at more frequent intervals can save more lives.

This news is huge!

The type of cancer I discovered with a self exam is called IDC (invasive ductal carcinoma). The tumor was located outside the milk duct. Wouldn't a mammogram show breast cancer before it became invasive, and if you catch it that early, chances are you would not need Chemotherapy?

The rationale behind the new recommendations is that mammograms create more life-saving benefits. But if you don't get the mammograms, cancer cells in the milk ducts can progress to the surrounding breast tissue. If you are able to catch it before it becomes invasive wouldn't chemo qualify as both unnecessary and anxiety-inducing?

No comments:

Post a Comment